Online Esraj & Dilruba Lessons
Lessons are provided in the form of online workshops.
Each workshop consists of video demonstrations and text explanations.
Our workshops are compact and designed to teach you specific skills. Practice goals are provided.
Every workshop has a different, but generous, time limit depending on how much content is covered.
The listed cost includes feedback, as needed, for the duration of the workshop.
What kind of Feedback?
* answers to relevant questions within the scope of the workshop you have purchased access to
* if required, addition of new video demonstrations or audio explanations to answer relevant questions within the scope of the workshop you have access to
* you make practice videos and send them in – they will be reviewed and you will be given tips on how to improve and suggestions of what to focus more attention on correcting.
Instructions for putting up private videos (for feedback purposes) are here.
Who will be giving feedback?
* Manav Singh
* if Manav is unable to answer then you will get feedback from Ustad Maiya Singh ji.
* Ustadji will review your practice videos from time to time (irregularly)
* other participants will be able to see your questions, some may wish to help out and offer answers
If your goal is to develop your technique and be able to play fluently like Ustadji, or Manav even ( but hopefully you aim to emulate the Teacher, not the student : ) , then all the workshops will help you.
Of course, there is no obligation: You can learn what you wish, when you wish, if you wish.
Doing the Homework within the workshop’s time limit is your responsibility.
Giving you feedback within the workshop’s time limit is our responsibility.
It is our humble request that you respect our work and effort.
By Signing up:
*) You agree not to share your username and password with anyone. 1 person per account please.
*) You agree not to download and save any of the video lessons. You agree to watch the video lessons online from the server only
* * ) You are welcome and encouraged to take notes.
* * ) You agree not to attempt to re-post our content on any other website or file-sharing service. You agree not to modify any of our content for redistribution.
*) You agree to keep download-able content from within the protected areas private – for your personal use only.
*) You agree to keep audio or video Recordings of yourself practicing the exercises you learn here private.
How to access the lessons?
1) Register as a “free user” – you MUST first register as a free user in order for the system to work properly. Registration and log-in can be done in the log-in box you see on the right.
2) after log-in, you can access a few free lessons and/or buy a ticket to the workshop of your choice.
3) once Paypal payment clears, you’ll get immediate access to the lesson.
Want a skill assessment before taking any workshop? – link a video of yourself playing as a comment on this page – and we’ll get back to you on what may be too easy or where you can start. Do mention your current goals as well.
Want to Change your password?
You can do it from your profile page.
Once that’s done – click on ‘VISIT SITE’ next to the word HARSANGEET towards the top, to come back.
For a List of Available Lessons:
Look through the LESSONS sections on the right
Please note, the intention of these workshops is to give you a basic to intermediate understanding of Indian Classical Music — the way WE have learned from our teachers, and observed from recordings of great artists.
I am myself a student. Ustadji himself says he is still a student and will always be a student. We do not claim to be THE experts or the know-all, final stop for all your answers. There is no 100% right or wrong.
We can do what we can do.
If you want to be able to get a similar result for yourself – you are welcome to learn from what we want to share. But a big component of your learning depends on you actually doing the exercises and being determined until you get it right. We will guide you the best we can.
We can get you to be able to enjoy playing Dilruba/Esraj/TarShehnai/Taus fluently and comfortably. — That is the limit of our promise.
You are encouraged to keep an open mind and be flexible. For example: if you learn something here, and later go to another teacher to further your exploration into music – be open to adjusting or even re-learning what you know. Indian Music has traditionally not been written down; as a result, a lot of different schools have different styles and interpretations of definitions.
Due to the digital nature of the content and service offered, there will be no refunds.
Workshop Costs, Workshop Access Duration, and Workshop Contents may change without prior notice. This is intended as a continuously evolving project.
We are committed to you REALLY getting the workshops you sign up for.
3 Situations to keep in mind:
1) The lesson is too advanced for you .
If you can’t do the exercises at all – we’ll switch you to an easier workshop @ no charge.
2) The lesson is too easy for you.
If you’re a very quick learner and submit a video for review within 2 days – and your technique requires no modification or feedback … we’ll give you access to 1 more workshop to work on @ no charge. (only applies once per paid workshop)
3) You submitted a question or request for feedback within the workshop’s time limit – but we did not answer you on time.
You’ll either get an extension , or will be emailed a response.